Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Adults Are Fucking Liars

The day I first realized that adults were nothing but big bastard liars I was in 1st grade. We were reading the book Stone Soup. When we finished the story we were all supposed to bring in a stone to put in a pot so we could make our own soup.

Now, if you don't quite remember the story, its basically about a drifter who convinces some lady to let him make soup at her house using only a stone. Then slowly over the course of the book he gets her to add actual food to his rock water (carrots, potatoes etc).

Photobucket
This is the exact book I owned

So basically the book was about lying and also it was about cooking actual soup, not some magic stone soup.

Anyways we all brought our rocks in and were told to drop them into a crockpot full of water. Then THEN we were led somewhere, I don't remember where because I spent that time convinced something was afoot. "A watched pot never boils" my 6yr old butt.

When we returned to the room SURPRISE! there was soup in the crockpot. Kids were amazed. They dished up the Magic Stone Soup into bowls for us. That first bite, that first telling bite showed me that we had been had, the teachers were lying to us, because what was in my bowl was not Magic Stone Soup but canned vegetable soup. I knew it well and had always hated that flavour. I was outraged, not only was it all a lie but they replaced our rock water with cans of my least favourite soup ever.

I wanted to call them out but I didn't because I saw that all the other kids were excited and amazed and full of magic and joy and I didn't want to ruin it for them so I ate my soup in silence.

That was the day I found out adults are liars.

2 comments:

Christine said...

how can I be laughing and sad at the same time :)

I loved that story. My mom told me it was about a community learning to share and give together.

What a lie that was.

Sean Z said...

if i remember my book correctly the drifter had nothing and the lady everything. sure she is feeding them both, but there is no community involved.

so many lies.

About Me

My photo
i sneeze a lot but you usually cannot tell that it happened. I drink black coffee all the time so my tooths are yellow.

sigh